I started by staining the top with cardovan(sp?) shoe polish and the bottom with navy blue shoe polish. Shoe polish doesn't work as well as a wood stain, but it's the best way of getting rid of old polish. I mean... what else are you going to do with it? Polish your shoes?
The first tool I purchased was a wood-burner. I practiced burning curvy lines all over the gourd. By the time they were finished, I'd gotten the hang of wood-burning. FYI: wood-burning is still my favorite gourd decorating technique.
Finally, I decided to learn carving. My first carving instrument was a teeny tiny exacto saw. The first 5 leaves were carved this way, and it took FOREVER. Carving leaves with the saw is what slowed down the project because I didn't find the process particularly enjoyable. Eventually, I acquired a dremel tool to carve the last 3 leaves. My favorite leaf is the one on the bottom of the gourd.
After the staining, wood-burning, and carving was finished, I had to clean out the inside of the gourd. A sharp spoon cleaned out the bulky stuff, and sand paper smoothed it down. Just so you know, gourd dust can be extremely hazardous. Whenever you're exposed to gourd dust be sure to wear a dust mask.
------------------------------------------
For a long time after this gourd, I couldn't successfully complete another one. I suppose I'd lost my excitement.
Up next: the 6000 mile road trip that brought back my love for gourds!
-Tiffany Cheri-

No comments:
Post a Comment